Position Title: Operations Assistant (2 positions)
Duty Station: Bulgaria (Sofia)
Classification: One-year fixed term appointment
Type of Appointment: Graded Contract (G4)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 12 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the direct and overall supervision of the Migrant assistance coordinator in Sofia, Bulgaria, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for provision of support to the irregular migrants.
- Provides support and logistics for supporting the proper functioning of the 2 safety zones.
- Provide support to TCNs accommodated in the safety zones and outside.
- Assists the beneficiaries with coordination of transportation and access to institutions
- Supports the teams of social workers deployed in the Safety Zones for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children in Sofia.
- Maintains a log-book with all materials to be delivered at the Safety zones.
- Ensures coordination with migrants’ communities for popularization project activities.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines
Education and Experience
- Bachellor’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience or High school degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required.
- Knowledge of Migration issues would be a distinct advantage;
- Previous work experience with EU donors would be a distinct advantage
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (cover letter and CV in European Format) in English/Bulgarian, to email@example.com email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 12.05.2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 03.05.2022 to 12.05.2022