Position Title: Senior Project Assistant (Protection)
Duty Station: Bulgaria (Sofia)
Classification: One-year fixed term appointment
Type of Appointment: Graded Contract (G7)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM acts with its partners in the international community to assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants. In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Under the direct supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Protection and Project Development Officer and overall supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Office, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing technical input and guidance in the development, planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring of and reporting on project activities at national level in the fields of migrants’ protection and well-being, capacity-building and public information, as well as participate in the implementation of project activities.
Responsibilities and Accountablities:
- Provide regular specialized technical support and guidance to IOM Bulgaria staff and implement activities in the field of migrant protection and well-being.
- Oversee the management of a Safety Zone for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, including the line management of a team of social workers, provision of technical support and coordination with the State Agency for Refugees and other relevant authorities.
- Lead the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring of and reporting on the project “Raising the awareness of the Bulgarian society and migrant communities in Bulgaria”, funded under the national AMIF programme, in close coordination with the Protection and Project Development Officer, and supervise the work of two staff working under the project – Social media and website moderator, and Project expert for the organization of information activities and events to facilitate the integration and cultural adaptation of third-country nationals.
- Plan, organize and implement trainings for representatives of national institutions and NGOs in Bulgaria on various topics, including protection and human rights, gender-based violence, child protection, working with vulnerable groups, intercultural competence, psychosocial support, site management support, and others.
- In coordination with the Head of Office, organize and implement IOM Bulgaria public information campaigns on migrant integration, including the production of audio-visual and printed information materials, and the organization of seminars, round tables, and conferences with the aim of increasing the awareness of Bulgarian society and facilitating the integration of asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection.
- Prepare, organize, and publish information on IOM Bulgaria’s activities on social media outlets, as well as on IOM Bulgaria’s website, as well as liaise with national media and IOM’s Media and Communication Departments at HQ in Geneva and RO Brussels.
- In collaboration with the PSEA focal point, organize trainings on IOM’s PSEA policy for new IOM Bulgaria staff and refresher trainings for other staff members, as well as support integration of PSEA principles in project development and implementation.
- Prepare quality donor reports related to project implementation activities and ensure timely submission.
- In close coordination with human resources and project staff, participate in the recruitment of experts within the project.
- Participate in trainings, seminars and meetings, and liaise with partner organizations, as required.
- Participate in the development of new project proposals in coordination with other IOM Bulgaria programmes, and in compliance with donor requirements and IOM rules and procedures, as well as coordinate their timely submission.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies:
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context
Education and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent, or higher, in Political or Social Science, International Relations or another related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience on projects working with migrants and/or refugees, with experience in project development and implementation considered an advantage.
- Previous work experience in an international environment, with intergovernmental organizations or NGOs considered an advantage.
Excellent knowledge of EU policies, financial instruments, institutions and decision-making mechanisms.
Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required.
Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (cover letter and CV in European Format) in English/Bulgarian, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 22.06.2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 13.06.2022 to 22.06.2022