Position Title: Interpreter/s
Duty Station: Various locations
Classification: Ungraded position
Type of Appointment: Consultancy contract (part-time/on call basis)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: IOM Sofia is hiring additional staff for the established pool of interpreters to support the work of IOM staff to provide support to people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine. The interpreter/s with Ukrainian and Russian will support the outreach activities of the IOM teams.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Interpreter/s with Ukrainian and Russian during outreach activities
- Do informal translation from Ukrainian/Russian to English/Bulgarian and vice versa in coordination with IOM colleagues and as part of IOM mobile protection team(s);
- Assist the IOM mobile team(s) and translate during the screening(s) and assessment(s) of vulnerable cases among people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine, including potential victims of trafficking, cases of sexual and gender-based violence, unaccompanied and separated minors, unaccompanied elderly, pregnant women, people with severe mental and physical disabilities, etc.
- Translate during educational, psychological support and individual counseling sessions to the identified vulnerable cases
- Translate during the information sessions organized by IOM
- Translate information materials if needed
- Perform other duties as required for the successful implementation of the projects.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education for Interpreter/s with Ukrainian and Russian
- Completed high school degree is required, a university degree from an accredited academic institution is an advantage.
- Good level of computer literacy
- Previous experience in providing interpretation services to migrants and/or refugees is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and under difficult conditions.
Fluency in the following languages: Bulgarian/English and/or Ukrainian and/or Russian.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV in European Format) in English/Bulgarian, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 30.04.2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 15.04.2022 to 08.05.2022